Jaguar XK120 Alloy Roadster
- 1 von 184 linksgelenkten XK120 Alloy Roadsters
- für die Mille Miglia zugelassen
- "matching numbers"
- Kanadische Auslieferung
This is a very early 1950 Jaguar XK 120 built on the 9th of January 1950. As Jaguar only planned with a very limited production run, the very first cars were built with an alloy body on an ash frame. This is one of only 242 alloy cars that were only built until May 1950. Only 148 of these were left-hand-Drive (LHD) cars.
As the car was such a huge success Jaguar decided to continune the production but all the later cars had a steel body and in addition a Fixed Head Coupé was introduced as well in 1951. In all, there were 7,631 XK 120 roadsters built from 1949–1954, and 2,678 coupes between 1951 and 1954. The weather-tight drop head coupe arrived last, with 1,769 produced in 1953 and 1954. With only 242 examples bodied in aluminum, these earliest XK 120 roadsters are by far and away the most desirable examples.
As the XK120 alloy Roadster made its debut in the Mille Miglia in 1950 and one was driven in 1951 by Sir Stirling Moss these early Alloy Roadsters are Mille Miglia eligible and offer a superb chance to take part part in this important event.
It was delivered new to its first Canadian owner D.P. Gurd on the 2nd of February 1950 in pale blue with a duo-blue interior.
Later in its life it became part of the collection of a prominent British Jaguar XK120 collector that lived in California, USA at that time. He had the body restored in the USA and took the car back to Europe when moving back to Great Britain in 2006 . Here it was sold to another well known Jaguar collector who entrusted JD Classic, Rothwell Engineering and CMC with the restoration of the car that was finished in 2008. The restoration is well documented by copies of the various invoices.
The engine is the original “matching numbers” engine and the car was restored with a keen eye for the special features of the early Alloy cars.